So apparently our lady KGill is going to be doing a twitter Q&A thing tomorrow. We are all very excited about it, hopefully it’ll be adorable and funny and everything Karen is.
However here’s a few things we need to remind you in order to avoid drama and making Karen feel uncomfortable.
ANY question related to Matt and her and in a romantic way should be COMPLETELY AVOIDED. Please refrain from mentioning ‘secretly married’ or ‘smillan’ or anything else that indicates her and Matt are linked romantically. That would only put her in an awkward position even if she doesn’t answer and if she does answer it’ll reflect very badly upon us as a fandom just because some dumbo decided to ask inappropriate things. So please please PLEASE choose your words carefully regarding Matt. Apart from that, ask whatever you like and we can’t wait to read her answers!
What’s been the most ‘oh my God’ moment on Doctor Who?
Karen: The obvious one is seeing the TARDIS. It was Matt and me going, “This is our TARDIS.” That was like, Oh Em Gee!"
– “Meet Karen Gillan,” The Brilliant Book of Doctor Who 2011
"Every day working with Karen Gillan!"
– Matt Smith when asked about his best experiences on the set of Doctor Who (x
With this sad news of Matt leaving Doctor Who, we just want to say THANK YOU MATT:
- for your heartbreaking, hilarious, award-worthy portrayal of the Doctor
- for spending countless time and energy promoting the show we love
- and for being so humble and enthusiastic while doing so
- for always having time for fans (ALWAYS)
- and for regarding us with genuine gratitude and respect
- for your modesty, generosity, and INSANE talent
- for your bizarro sense of humor
- for your ridiculous chemistry with all your costars
- for your ability to break everything on the tardis set (twice)
- (there were too many fiddly bits on that for you to handle)
- for your face
- for those newly acquired abs/biceps I mean holy hell man
- for three gorgeous series
WE’LL MISS YOU MATT. WE HAVE NO DOUBT YOU’LL FOLLOW IN KAREN’S FOOTSTEPS AND BECOME A BIG HOLLYWOOD STAR.
"Smith has – with his tongue, perhaps, a little in his cheek – described Gillan as “a remarkable specimen”, and the sexiest Doctor Who assistant ever. Certainly, dads countrywide will be far from displeased by the sight of her dressed as a kissogram. Can the Doctor stop himself from falling for her, despite those legs? “Despite those legs, the gangly Karen legs? She’s going to love me for that,” Smith says. Then he offers the answer he has given so many times to these kind of journalistic inquiries, the one that from tonight will finally start to be replaced by real answers on screen. “You’ll have to wait and see."
Matt Smith in Spring 2010
- Karen walking into the audition room and Matt memorising everything she’s wearing and telling that stories for years after.
- Taking a boat trip together during the early days, as required by the creators, so they can build their chemistry.
- ‘Come along, Pond!’ one of the Eleventh Doctor’s most famous lines being born out of Matt calling Karen ‘Gillan’ all the time.
- Karen groping Matt subconciously during the kissing scenes.
- Matt bringing up the kissing scene for years after.
- Telling everybody that the other has a huge crush on them.
- Living really close and calling each other up all the time to come over and practice lines and order take out and look at youtube videos (lol I’m not even getting started with this)
- Karen being ‘afraid’ one night and asking Matt to walk up with her to her flat. She was AFRAID guys.
- Literally knowing every story about the other before they even begin to say it.
- Matt filming Karen while she’s falling asleep
- Taking secret trips to New York at Christmas and going to hipster bars and the bartender saying how ‘into each other’ they looked.
- Leaving for work together.
- Going grocery shopping together.
- Getting drunk together (AND HANDSY) and then the next day doing the walk of shame together and getting gross greasy hangover food.
- Karen insisting she’d be there to read Amy’s goodbye letter to Matt even though she didn’t have to be on this scene.
- Losing the last page of Amy’s goodbye letter and having to improvise. (I MEAN SERIOUSLY. SHE LOST THE LAST. PAGE. OF. AMY’S. GOODBYE. LETTER. TALK ABOUT SYMBOLISM)
- Matt kissing her hair as a thank you after filming that scene.
- Matt listening to romantic songs before filming the Doctor and Amy’s last scene.
- When asked about the future both of them say they want to direct, get a dog, do Macbeth together and visit each other.
- Both tweeting about being in love and what books you should read when you’re in love on the same day.
- Karen asking Matt to zip her up because apparently THERE WAS NO ONE ELSE THERE. (DO YOU INVITE A LOT OF PEOPLE TO YOUR ROOM WHILE YOU’RE GETTING DRESSED KAREN)
- Matt bringing Karen up in EVERY interview even though he’s supposed to be promoting a new companion.
SO SERIOUSLY. SCREENPLAY WRITERS OUT THERE. YOU DON’T EVEN HAVE TO DO MUCH, JUST CHANGE THE NAMES AND CAST A REALLY AWESOME PERSON TO PLAY ARTHUR AND THE ROM COM WRITES ITSELF.
There’s a special on right now (EST) about the Doctor’s companions which I’m told includes interviews with Karen in an ugly jumper and possible mentions of Matt.
"Flame-haired Karen said: “Matt’s eccentric, endearing - and funny without even knowing it."
You [Karen] can make a call, right?
I'll make a call. I make calls.
Karen makes calls.
I'll make the call. I make calls.
Oh, my lord. I don't wanna know about your calls.
Sometimes we’ll phone each other and say: ‘How’s it going? Really badly? Me too. Do you want to come over and practice?'
She [Karen] went on your show and then she rang me and said, 'I just went on the show with Jennifer Lopez!!’
Actually, Matt had found out the night before. He called me and was like, ‘You've got to hear this news…’
So I read it [the script for The Angels Take Manhattan], and then my initial instinct was to pick up the phone and call Matt.
She [Karen] doesn't phone me! You can tell her that.
“Well, that hair, those limbs, that surprising brain. it’s like she’s from another planet. She’s a true eccentric. Karen provides my funniest moments on a daily basis. Seeing her run. Seeing her move. Seeing those limbs extend. When she opens her mouth, it tends to be funny – unwittingly, but funny. But underneath her mad exterior, she’s sharp. She’s just perfectly Amy Pond. People love her. She’s hilarious.” - Matt Smith
What is your favorite of your episodes, ever?
Hello lovely people. Because you’re all so brilliant and our old one was wildly out of date, here is a BRAND NEW REALLY REALLY LONG LIST full of hours and hours of working links of Matt and Karen shenanigans. Have fuuuun
Matt Smith on Jonathan Ross 16 March 2013 →
Smith describes his relationship with Gillan as, “the heartbeat of the show, the Doctor and the companion, and it’s definitely something that evolves”.
“It’s not something that is immediate on the first day, because you’re two people and you’re placed in this peculiar situation but, thankfully, Karen and I get on famously. I don’t know if it’s fate or luck or whatever but we make each other laugh.”"
“I think the Doctor and Amy share a slightly mad relationship,” says Matt. “She’s a handful and he likes the fact she challenges him and can sometimes act a bit bonkers.”
Does he think she’s the show’s sexiest companion ever?
“Yes she is!” says Matt. “I think Karen’s extremely sexy.”"
Matt Smith in 2010: Amy Pond is uh…I don’t know I’ve sort of fallen in love with Amy Pond[….]I think Karen brings so much of herself to the role as Amy.
Matt Smith in 2013: My first ever episode to film is my favorite because I fell in love with Amy.